Driving for City Cars

Basic Requirements

To drive with City Cars you will need:

  • A driving license
  • A Glasgow City Council Taxi / Private Hire License
  • Good English language skills
  • Age 21+

But most importantly you’ll need to be reliable and enthusiastic.

We can support you with securing these documents – please contact driver recruitment on 0141 959 1212 for more information.

Useful links:

Glasgow City Council – Private Hire Car Licence

Glasgow City Council – Private Hire Driver’s Licence


What experience do I need?

Above all, we look for enthusiasm and reliability in drivers. No experience driving private hire cars is needed, but a good working ethic is needed. Our experienced staff are available to help introduce drivers to the industry. You will need to apply for a Glasgow City Council Private Hire Licence and be able to speak English.

How do I get paid?

Customers pay for their journeys in two ways, so there are two ways we pay you. Simple.

Account transactions

Account customers pay us directly via their accounts. We'll add this money up and pay it to you each week.

Non Account transactions

Customers pay the driver in cash

Will I be self-employed?

Yes. All City Cars drivers are self-employed and responsible for their own tax and national insurance. Our experienced staff are available to help you get started.

Do I have to work set shifts?

All City Cars drivers are completely free to work the hours that suit them best.

You will quickly learn the busiest days and times

You will also get a text to inform you if we require more cars to help cover work.

Do I need to provide my own vehicle and will I pay for fuel?

We offer a vehicle rental scheme, where you rent a vehicle from us for a set fee. City Cars vehicles are all typically less than 5 years old and are regularly maintained by our dedicated service technicians.

This means that the hassle of organising insurance, MOT and PHV checks, repairs or replacement vehicle will be taken care of for you, allowing you to stay on the road and never miss an opportunity to earn more money.

You are welcome to drive your own vehicle and pay for the fuel, insurance, vehicle testing, council charges and other costs.

What do I need to become a driver?

You will need to provide us with your driving licence, National Insurance number, Private Hire Driver's license.

Find out more about becoming a driver

Pop in and have a chat or call 0141 959 1212